Notes on what is currently happening around YOUR association
Apr 2, 2020
- My sincere apologies. With everything else going on, I forgot to post up the fantastic work of Howard Stiles (279), Matt Wharton (258), and
Richie Perez III (300) back on March 4th. Bowing in the Magic Men's league at Bowlero - San Marcos they combined to shoot a
NATIONAL Team Award Score (Game) of 837!
Outstanding bowling gentlemen. VERY well done!
Mar 17, 2020
- Wow. It seems like only yesterday I was telling people to get their contact info up to date as bowling centers and/or leagues may suspend operations.
OH. Wait. It was yesterday. Lo and behold, it has come to pass. Bowlero San Marcos has temporarily lock their doors until further notice.
Leatherneck lanes has stopped all league bowling for 8 weeks. Poway Fun Bowl and Surf Bowl have also locked their doors until further notice.
Of course this is all part of the effort to keep everyone safe and healthy, in response to the spread of the COVID-19 virus that is making the rounds.
So... there you have it. As mentioned before, please get in touch with your team captain.
The prize funds for all leagues will (most likely) now have to be recomputed.
We all hope that this pause in the season is short. However, we also know that the most important thing is to keep EVERYONE -
our friends, families, and loved ones - safe and healthy.
Mar 16, 2020
- The entry form for the San Diego County Senior Doubles Bowling Club event scheduled for May 16th, is up.
If you entered for their tournament originally scheduled for this coming Saturday (that tournament has been cancelled),
your entry has been put towards the May tournament at Parkway Bowl.
- As many of you have noticed, the suggested rules, Executive Orders, ETC., regarding how to deal with the COVID-19 virus are constantly changing on
ALL levels (National, State, County, etc.). While many bowling centers are still open, that may change at any time.
However, YOU, the bowler, have ultimate control over your life. YOU know what is important to you and your family. And should act accordingly.
YOU can bowl, or not bowl (provided the bowling center is open). Towards that issue please remember that the League officers
(which include the team captains) can vote to suspend, postpone, or cancel your bowling sessions/season.
Just like the USBC is doing with their national events. PLEASE ensure that your team captains have your correct contact
information so that they can keep you informed in the event of changes to your league(s). No one wants to drive to a center, ready to bowl,
only to find out things have been postponed/rescheduled/cancelled.
The USBC has posted the following information
HERE. Please read it.
Stay safe out there.
Mar 15, 2020
- The San Diego County Senior Doubles Bowling Club event scheduled for next Saturday (3/21/20) has been cancelled.
Entries will be put towards the next club event, currently scheduled for May 16th at Parkway Bowl.
Mar 12, 2020
- The USBC has just announced that they are postponing or suspending nationally conducted events until May 1st.
A link to their notice is
As far as the USBC Open and Women's championships, this affects teams registered to bowl from March 21 - April 30.
They will have the option to reschedule for new added dates in the summer. The USBC Masters, USBC Senior Queens and the USBC Convention are posponed indefinitely.
Mar 11, 2020
- Well... for those that are not aware, there is a virus going around that is impacting many lives in a wide variety of ways.
It is causing MANY events to be rescheduled or cancelled and bowling is no exception. To wit:
The California State USBC association has made the decision to cancel the Pepsi Youth Championship that was scheduled
to start this weekend. In addition, the BVL, Adult Open and the Women's Open Championship tournaments have also been cancelled.
A link to their notice (in the middle of the page) is HERE.
Some events may be rescheduled and refunds are being made. Stay safe out there.
Feb 23, 2020
- Congratulations to Richie Perez III. 300, 245, 268 for an 813 series bowled in the Vegas Funtime League at Bowlero. Great work Richie!
Feb 20, 2020
- We have UNOFFICIAL results for the 2020 Youth Royal. The champions are:
Masters Champion - Marshall Degnan
Princess Champion - Kaya Carrasco
Prince Champion - Noah Salazar
Pictures are on the Tournaments page.
Feb 17, 2020
- It is with great sadness that I pass along word of the passing of James Schuck on February 14th.
Jim is a former President of the men's Palomar Bowling Association (early 1980's),
and a 1990 inductee into the Hall of Fame for Meritorious Service.
Our sincere condolances, thoughts, and prayers go out to his family.
Feb 13, 2020
- All Righty then!!! We have UNOFFICIAL results for the 2020 Adult Royal. First off, we have
Queens Champion - Leilani Penn
Senior Queens Champion - Samantha Hall
Masters Champion - Steven Manier
Senior Masters Champion - Bruce Pederson
Princess Champion - Tia Thorpe
Prince Champion - Chris Wilson
Pictures are on the Tournaments page.
Feb 9, 2020
- Congratulations to Shane Manier for his 300 bowled in the Vegas Funtime League at Bowlero. Well done!
Jan 30, 2020
- The list of 14 (1 League, 5 Tournament, 8 Bylaws) Proposed Amendments (PA's) to be considered at the 2020 USBC Convention at the end of April is available
These PA's could affect future League, Tournament & Bylaws. As only registered delegates can vote on these PA's, PLEASE read them over and let the
delegates that YOU elected, know how you would like them to vote during the convention.
As a reminder, EVERYONE who is a USBC member can attend the convention at The Orleans Hotel in Las Vegas April 27-30. Come join us. Meet the candidates.
The delegates that are representing you this year, and vote on your behalf, are Karen Salazar, Nancy Arvanitis, Rose Blanchard, and Steve Johnson.
Read over the legislation and a little about the 5 candidates running for the USBC Board of Directors. Let us know what YOU would like to see happen.
If you have any questions, PLEASE let us know.
Jan 20, 2020
- WOO HOO!!! Well... We NOW have the entries for the Royal & Youth Association Championship up and available. Get um while they're hot.
Jan 9, 2020
- The USBC wouild like us to remind everyone - No balance holes as of Aug. 1, 2020
When Aug. 1, 2020, rolls around, bowlers will not be allowed to use a ball with a balance hole and all gripping holes must be used on every delivery.
With this change, there is an increase in top/bottom and side weights, and the specification allowing increases in static weights for bowling balls
without balance holes has been in effect since Aug. 1, 2018, to allow a smoother transition for bowlers.
To ensure your equipment is ready for the 2020-2021 season, we encourage bowlers to update their equipment as soon as possible.
See more details regarding the drilling specification changes.
Jan 8, 2020
- Congratulations to Kirk Horner on bowling his 1st 300. Bowled in the Magic Men's League at Bowlero. Now THAT'S the way to start the New Year off.
Video of the last shot can be viewed on the "Honor Scores" page.
Jan 1, 2020
- Happy New Year everyone!
No. We haven't gone over to the dark side. Many OS developers have adopted what is commonly referred to as "Dark Mode".
In keeping with the logic behind that, I thought I might try something here and see what everyone thinks.
As you can tell I have changed the primary background color to black (at the moment this is only on the main page).
The reason is two fold. As more and more people are using their mobile devices as their primary means to browse the web,
they are also using their devices longer (while laying in bed late at night). This has led to eye strain for many.
Normally, the background color of the display is typically black by default, it is
software that is used to turn on the pixels that light up areas of the screen and display the information.
I believe this started as a throw back to the tradition of black ink on white paper.
If you take a moment to look at your screens on most sites, most of the total space is blank, and white.
That means that you are using power to light up those white pixels, that display nothing. Waisted power.
So, by leaving those blank areas black, you are saving battery power (going longer between charges), and it is easier on your eyes to read.
Drop me a line and let me know. Should I keep the background color white? Or should I swap the colors on all pages to white text on a black backgroung?
Or perhaps a whole different set of colors. Maybe a larger font size. You tell me.
And in case you didn't notice, the primary text is not a true white. It is a sand color, to further soften the view.
Dec 31, 2019
- I just KNOW there are MANY deserving students that can use a little financial help with education.
With that in mind; The deadline to submit applications for the Billie Meyer & North County USBC scholarships is fast approaching (January 10, 2020).
Know someone who is deserving? Get the form (HERE),
and get it submitted. Questions? Contact Ross LaBar at email@example.com.
Speaking of approaching deadlines, nominations for the association's Hall of Fame are due by February 1st.
Information and applications for Superior Performance, Meritorious Service, or Distinguished Service are available
Please contact Tim Smith with any questions (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Dec 9, 2019
- I am unaware of any other Association/Club tournaments happening before the end of the year.
So... As you wind down with bowling for the rest of this month, ALL of us on the Association Board would like to wish ALL of you the very best
and happiest of times with family and friends this holiday season.
We hope to see all of you in 2020!!!
Dec 9, 2019
- Results for the 200/500/600 Club Friendship tournament are up on the club pages.
Nov 27, 2019
- Congratulations to Richie Periz III for his 300 shot at Bowlero, San Marcos, in the Magic Men's league.
Video of the last 2 shots can be viewed on the "Honor Scores" page.
Nov 14, 2019
- Did you know... the Avocado 600 Club is now accepting membership applications from men (effective January 1, 2020)!
Visit their web page for an application.
Nov 7, 2019
- Congratulations to Russ Fitzpatrick for his (279, 289, 277) 845 series shot at Bowlero, San Marcos, in the Abundance of Fun league.
Video of the last 2 shots can be viewed on the "Honor Scores" page.
Nov 3, 2019
- Congratulations to Virginia Young for her 300 shot at Bowlero, San Marcos, in the Vegas Funtime league.
Congratulations also go to Andrew McCluskey. 300, 247, 256 = 803 done in the same Vegas Funtime league at Bowler, San Marcos.
Nov 1, 2019
- Congratulations to John Tomlin II for his 300 game shot at Leatherneck Lanes, in the Vegas Friends league.
Video is available on the "Honor Scores" page.
Oct 14, 2019
- It is with sadness that I share the news that Bob Utley passed away on Saturday, October 12th.
He is most likely remembered by the senior bowlers of our association as he participated many years back. Our sincere condolences to his family.
Sep 29, 2019
- Congratulations to Dawn Gorman - 2019 SOCAL Queens Champion.
Sep 26, 2019
- The Official results of the most current San Diego County Seniors Doubles Club tournament at Parkway Bowl are up.
Sep 23, 2019
- Just a quick reminder... The SOCAL Masters & Apprentice, and Queens & Princess tournaments are this coming weekend.
See the tournaments page for more information/entry form.
Sep 17, 2019
- Woo Hoo. At LONG LAST, the California USBC has FINALLY posted OFFICIAL results of the state Open Championship Tournament.
Congratulations to Justine Schmeiser and Steve Johnson - With a score of 1461, they are Champions of the 2019 California USBC Adult Championship
(Open Doubles Handicap Division). Justine also finished 4th in the Open All Events Division. With Priscilla Smith & Bruce Pederson rounding
out the team, they finished in 11th place.
Sep 11, 2019
- YEA... the winter leagues are getting underway. Just a quick reminder for all bowlers who may have purchased their USBC membership via another Association -
such as San Diego USBC, etc. - as per USBC Playing Rules 101 and 102e (in addition to Bylaws, etc.), ALL bowlers MUST pay the local Association dues
($10) in order to compete in North County leagues and/or tournaments. "Any team using a player who has not paid appropriate membership dues subjects the
games in which the bowler participated to forfeiture."
As most of you know, the dues this year are a total of $25. This is composed of $13 for USBC membership, $10 local Association dues,
and $2 for the California USBC Association. These fees "must be paid BEFORE completion of the first series".
OK... So who shoots the first 300 or 800 of the year?
Sep 5, 2019 - UPDATE
- It is with truly great sadness that I share more heartbreaking news in the family of Joy Vineyard. On August 16th, Denise Vineyard passed away.
Then, on September 2nd, her son William (Bill) died in an auto accident. Then today, her son Mark passed away.
Please say a prayer for the entire Vineyard family to grant them the strength to endure this extreme heartache. Our sincere condolances to the family.
Services will be held at Faith Lutheran Church of Vista - 700 E Bobier Dr., Vista, CA - at 11:00 AM on Saturday, September 28th.
Aug 25, 2019
- Updated results for August 200, 500 & 600 club tournaments are up. Check their respective pages.
Aug 19, 2019
- For those Youth League Officers, coaches, Youth Bowlers 18+ years old in a Youth League, and even Leagues officers of leagues that may have youth bowlers,
there are some changes in the SafeSport and Registered Volunteer Program (RVP) that USBC would like us to pass along. Basically, ANY sanctioned bowler
18+ years old that interacts with our Youth Bowlers should be familiar with these changes.
So.... Please read this quick note from USBC - HERE.
Questions? Please give them a call.
Aug 10, 2019
- The 50th Annual California State Senior Open Championship is happening in Modesto this year. It is spread over 5 weekends starting October 19th.
So there are plenty of opportunites to fit your schedule. However, the entry deadline is fast approaching - September 1st.
You can go to their website (HERE),
or go to our Tounaments page and get the entry form and rules.
Aug 1, 2019
- Well; It is now the 1st of August. The start of another bowling season. As such, just a quick note and reminder to all.
1) Adult Standard membership dues are now $25 ($13 USBC, $2 state, and $10 local).
2) USBC Rule 18 goes into effect TODAY. What does that mean? Glad you asked. As per the USBC rule book
Rule 18 – Bowling Ball - Altering Surface
While bowling in USBC competition, a bowling ball cannot:
a. Have the surface altered by the use of an abrasive.
b. Be cleaned with any liquid substance or cleaning agent.
c. Have any foreign material on it including, but not limited to, powder, rosin, marker or paint.
All bowling balls so altered or cleaned must be removed from the competition.
Note: Should a foreign substance appear on the outer surface of a bowling ball which cannot be removed with a dry towel,
an approved cleaner may be used with consent from a league or tournament officer.
So... ONCE COMPETITION BEGINS (which is defined as the 1st ball thrown for score by any participant) ...
use a CLEAN, DRY, towel ONLY.
OK. Let's get away from the boring, technical, and brief rule book explaination and get to a much easier read.
Produced by USBC, this is a much easier read. You can get it
3) League Officers, Secretary/Treasurer: Please become familiar with all items in USBC rule 102.
4) USBC Rule 102e, Duties of the Secretary - Item 5:
Be responsible for a record of the scores bowled by all team members and substitutes, and report scores that are eligible
for USBC, state & local association awards.
a. Submit a completed award application within 20 days.
b. Notify the local association manager or authorized representative within 48 hours of scores
that are eligible for USBC honor score recognition.
Item 9: Furnish a list of individual averages to the local association manager, when requested, [and within 15 days of the end of the league.]
The list must show the full names and ID numbers of all bowlers who competed in the league, the number of games bowled,
total pinfall and average for each bowler.
Note that games bowled for Sweepers and Position Rounds must be included in the computation of the bowlers average.
And... as per chapter 8 of the rules - For those no-thumb or two-handed bowlers out there - Is a bowling ball with a thumb hole thrown by a no-thumb or two-handed bowler legal?
For the 2019-2020 season, a bowler who doesn't use the thumb during a delivery, can either have a thumb hole or a balance hole but not both.
If the ball has a thumb hole but the bowler doesn't use it, then as long as it meets static balance of 3 ounce top weight, 1 ounce side weight and
1 ounce finger/thumb weight and does not have an interchangeable device for the thumbhole, the ball is allowed.
If the ball has both a thumb hole and a balance hole, the bowler needs to plug at least one of them.
Beginning August 1, 2020, a bowler who doesn’t use the thumb during a delivery cannot have a thumb or a balance hole.
If the ball does, it is illegal and games are subject to forfeiture. All holes drilled must be used for gripping purposes on every delivery.